Friday 20 January 2012

Stage 3 - Applied fabric techniques

I tried a number of techniques, as I am new to some of these. Some worked out better then others, here are my examples:












I experimented with different types of machine sewn applique and cut-back applique. I tried water soluble fabrics which I loved. Trapping fabrics between layers of fabrics with bondaweb, putting objects in pockets of sheer fabrics, melting sheer fabric to another fabric using heat from an iron. I also tried using tyvex fabric, I found it quite difficult to control so I will have to experiment with it a little more if I want to use it in any of my work.


I found that while doing these experiments I enjoyed sewing machine applique, trapping fabrics and using the water soluble fabric. As I enjoyed using these techniques, I wanted to try and use them in my sample.


Sample








I am very pleased with this sample it came out just how I visualised it should. I trapped fragments of fabric behind a sheer fabric to give the background texture, I then made the green pineapple shapes with a sewing machine and water soluble fabric and hand sowed them on using a thread the same shade of green. I then appliqued a sheer fabric in strips over the top with frayed edges to give more texture with a little sewing lines to give even more texture. The whole piece is based on three of my drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment